Jan 2, 2010

Follow-up on the Sukhoi 26m

Many months have passed since my last post due to having a life. I enjoy model airplanes as a hobby, and I blog for my enjoyment as well. If I was more of a loyal blogger, I'm sure I'd already have a million people following my blog:) haha!!!

The Parkzone Sukhoi has not been that pleasing of an airplane. It's a sad little bugger on the top shelf in the garage at the moment. Here is the rest of the story...

Late September I finally get the replacement Sukhoi from Parkzone, and I'm determined to keep it in as good of shape as possible. This time around, I figure that I'd better be pretty careful as the little servos must not be able to handle much stress. Five careful flights after receiving my new plane and I'm feeling pretty good. Sixth flight, second day of flying and I have a mishap, a slight crash and the left wing bends a little and I can see I've cracked the foam wing. A little CA and accelerator and its good as new. Continued flying my plane, with nothing overly exciting happening and put it up for another day. The very next day, I'm carefully taking off from the road next to the house and trying to land back on the pavement. I'm finding that even though I trimmed the prop down, even the most careful landings resulted in a prop strike. Wanting to avoid a broken prop, I thought I'd just shoot for the grass instead of the pavement.

I gently flared my plane into the grass for a picture perfect landing. Of course I'd taken my front wheels off but the back tail wheel is affixed and catches the grass like the tail hook of a jet hitting the arresting cable on an aircraft carrier. Apparently that gentle landing contained enough force to damage the rudder servo. Upon close inspection back in garage, I noticed a slight smoky brown color on the white plastic retainer that holds the servo motor. Appears to have smoked itself. So, needless to say, I'm disgusted with the stupid little plane:) I've been contemplating selling it and getting a Piper Cub. If not, I'll have to spend $10 for a new servo, and take the time to fix it...

My recommendation on Sukhoi is to skip it. If you really want a miniture pattern type aircraft and your willing to put up with all the issues (cg, prop size, seemingly wimpy servo motors, etc.) then go for it. Hopefully there will be a second generation Sukhoi someday with some of the issues addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment